Welcome to the adventure of my life!

Thanks for following my blog! It will be updated every Tuesday, I hope you enjoy what you see and please comment! I also love constructive critisicm so if there is something you would like to see, let me know!
happy blogging!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

2 days.. and let it begin!!

Well! this is it! I've prepared as much as I can, I've slept a good amount, and ate healthy.. and now it's TIME! I leave thursday morning for Washington D.C. and I will meet up with the USA World Skills Team. (team as in each of them competing in a different skill i.e. cabinet making, culinary, graphic design) I will be the only one competing in hair design from the USA. I'm up against 35 different countries! What a good competition this will be!

So I've prepared and practiced every day. If your wondering about how much that is, it's about 25 hours a week the past couple of months, and the past week, it's more like 11 hour days. So it really takes a lot out from you! I did learn that you need to give your body time to rest. A really good friend gave me this advice (thanks Alex!!) So every sunday (and sometimes monday too!) I don't do anything with hair. I go have fun! and do things that I enjoy. Just to make sure that I don't wear out my body. And it seriously has helped a lot!

So what's the best part of practicing? HA! HA! HA!! that sounds like a question I would laugh at. I strongly dislike training! I hate putting in the hours, I hate doing a style, just to wash it out and do it again. I just don't like that! But the best part is looking back at pictures from where I first started, to now how i'm finishing it! Ten times better for reals! I'll post some pictures right after this! Seriously though, watching myself grow and be better each day, each time I comb that hair, THAT is what makes this competition worth it! I know I know, everyone says "but laina! anyone would kill for this chance!" . . . true... to an extent. you put in this much work and effort, and you'll see, it's tough! not saying it isn't worth it. but it definitely is tough!

Well that's that folks! I do promise that everyday i'm gone, you can have a day to day update about my competition! YUP! I'll try my hardest to write on here every night, starting Thursday!

And a big thank you to everyone that has helped me! My trainers: Manuel Rodriguez, Crystal Ferry, and Jina Son. My instructors: Karen Skinner and Marilyn Brown. My favorite College: Ogden-Weber Applied Technology College. To Pivot Point for providing the education. To my friends! for always putting up with me. To my family for always supporting and believing in me. and most of all to my Heavenly Father who has blessed me with this talent. I owe it all to him!

3 comments:

  1. Go Laina we will all be cheering for you. Your going to do amazing. Just believe in yourself you know you are extremely talented!!!!!!Go Laina we will all be cheering for you. Your going to do amazing. Just believe in yourself you know you are extremely talented!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing Laina, i am sure you don't need me to say it, i really hope you know what kind of wonderful influence you have on others, not to mention how skilled you are at cuttin hairs!! I love you & good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Laina!!! You will do AMAZING! I am so impressed with your intense (god-given) skills! You've got this!! I can't wait to read about your trip :) Thinking of you and praying for you! Loves!! xoxo Liz

    ReplyDelete